Simple remedies to help you counter nasal congestion
Nasal congestion or stuffy nose is the blockage of the nasal passages usually due to membranes, lining the nose, becoming swollen from inflamed blood vessels. Typical symptoms of nasal congestion are nasal discharge, congestion, cough, fever, headache, watery eyes, fever, loss of smell etc. There can be many reasons for stuffy nose like cold temperature or weather, anxiety, lack of sleep, nasal polyps, pollution, dust, allergens, deviated septum, chronic sinus problems etc.
- Steam inhalation – Boil water and add some Carom seeds (ajwain) and few Cloves. Remove the vessel from the burner and cover your head with a cloth and inhale the steam. For infants, the steam vessel can be put in the corner in a closed room and should not be given directly.
- Jal Neti – Jal Neti is a nasal irrigation technique in yoga used to clean out the nasal cavity and make it free of mucus and debris. This should be learnt from an expert.
- Diet – Vitamin C rich diet can be very helpful. Include seasonal fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin C, like Indian Gooseberry (*Amla*), Orange, Guava, Broccoli etc.
- Rest – Sleep plays a very important role in maintaining overall balance in the body. A good rested body can improve the condition.
- Mindful breathing, Pranayam and relaxation techniques – Can de-stress the person and can reduce anxiety, which in turn can help reduce the irritation in the nasal passage and improve overall immune system.
- Acupressure – There are several points in Acupressure when worked on can provide immense relief in Nasal congestion. Two relatively easy points one can try are – press the joint near the bridge of the nose and eye socket with the tips of your thumbs and the point on the edge of both the nostrils where you can feel your cheek bone, do this for at least 2-3 minutes. Repeat this process several times during the day. The pressure should be only as much you can tolerate.
In case of allergens in the environment, like smell of paint, pollen, congress grass or some chemicals Jal Neti, once a day, can help a lot. After doing Jal Neti, putting a drop of cow *ghee* (clarified butter) in nostrils will have a soothing affect. The *ghee* can be applied to infants too.
by: Saroj Modi, Founder, The Inner Startup